Parents and Families
We're glad you're here!
Parents and family members are important partners in supporting student success at Western Washington University. New Student Services/Family Outreach (NSSFO) provides outreach and services to help strengthen students and families' connection to Western, including a monthly newsletter, family resources, and an annual family weekend event in the fall. Explore the resources on this page to learn more about our campus community and stay involved in your student's experience at Western!
First-Generation Family Toolkit
Based on feedback from first-generation students, we've learned that many would feel more supported if their families had a better understanding of the college experience.
We invite you to check-out the toolkit to find all the tools you need to help your student succeed at Western.
SAVE THE DATES!
Upcoming Fall Programs & Campus Happenings
- Fall Family Weekend: Fri, Oct 21 - Sun, Oct 23 - Schedule for ticketed and non-ticketed events: Available Now!
Upcoming Holidays and Breaks
- Thanksgiving Break: Thu, Nov 24 - Sun, Nov 27 (Wed, Nov 23 - University open, no classes)
- Winter Break: Sat, Dec 10 - Tue, Jan 3
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day: Mon, Jan 16
- Presidents Day: Mon, Feb 20
- Spring Break: Sat, Mar 18 - Mon, Mar 27
- Memorial Day: Mon, May 29
- Summer Break: Sat, Jun 10 - Mon, Jun 19:
- Juneteenth: Mon, Jun 19
Explore ways for parents and families to stay connected to the Western community below:
- WWU Family Connection is a monthly e-newsletter sent to all families of current students. If you haven't received your copy and would like to get on the list, update your contact information.
- Community members, family and friends of Western Washington University students may sign up for Western Alert, Western's emergency response notification system.
- Want to stay on top of what's happening at Western Washington University? Sign up to receive daily Western Today emails.
Coffee, Tea and Family
Family Outreach Office Hours are available to parents/families of new and current students.
New Student Services/Family Outreach has virtual office hours available for families each week in Zoom. Sign up for Coffee, Tea and Family, a 30-minute one-on-one appointment with NSSFO's Family Outreach Manager to ask questions, learn about campus support services and resources, and about available tools and opportunities to keep you connected with Western.
Counseling, Health, Wellness Services
Curious about Western’s approach to wellness? Make sure to watch the video featuring Dr. Sislena Ledbetter, associate vice president, WWU Counseling, Health, Wellness Services, as she describes the full spectrum of care available to students at Western.
The following additional family resources are also available to help you support your student with their continued growth and social/emotional development:
Find out more about available health and wellness services and Western’s commitment to helping students with learning the importance of self-care and how to practice good mind/body health on the Counseling, Health, Wellness Services website.