New Student Services / Family Outreach

Transitions Advising & Orientation Banner


The Transitions 2019 program is now closed

For students who did not attend Transitions, here are your next steps regarding the academic advising and class registration process. Additional resources and checklists can be found in the Preparing for WWU section of the New Student Services/Family Outreach website.

1. Schedule an advising appointment

Beginning on July 30th, students can call the Academic Advising Center at (360) 650-3850 to schedule an appointment with an advisor. Students who are a part of the Student Outreach Services program can contact SOS at (360) 650-7443 to schedule an appointment with an advisor. During your appointment you will have the opportunity to review how your credits transfer to Western, plan for your major, and prepare for registration during Phase II Registration which begins on August 27th at 8:30am.

2. Complete the Missed Orientation Advising Online Video:

Before arriving for your scheduled advising appointment, you must first review some general advising information and policies online. If prior to your advising appointment you have not completed the Missed Orientation Advising online video, your appointment will be rescheduled. You will need your student ID number (WID) to access the video. Allow yourself approximately 30 minutes to complete watch the video. Access to the Missed Orientation Advising online tutorial.

3. Explore Additional Online Advising Resources:

As a new student, you have been given access to an online Canvas advising course called the Virtual Advisor. This course provides information about graduation requirements, major planning, registration, and tips for success your first quarter. The course also contains links to online academic and campus resources. Access to Canvas. You must first activate your Universal Account before gaining access to Canvas.

If you have advising questions, please email the Academic Advising Center or call at (360) 650-3850.

No longer attending Western? If your academic plans have changed and you no longer plan to attend Western in the fall, please contact the Admissions Office to confirm your withdrawal from the university. You may send an email to: to confirm your withdrawal.

Need additional assistance? We look forward to meeting with you and helping you plan for a great first quarter at Western! If you have any questions about getting started at Western, email the New Student Services/Family Outreach or call at (360) 650-3846.