Being Financially Responsible
Financial Responsibility Comes with Practice
Learn how to support your student to manage their own finances. Encourage your student to:
- Keep track of how, when, and where to pay bills.
- Learn more about campus departments and their processes for paying for college in the Viking Resource Hub.
- Actively manage their money by creating a budget, monitoring their statements, paying bills on time with consistency each month.
- Apply for scholarships: Most admissions scholarships last only one year. The biggest mistake first-year students make in regard to financial aid is not applying for scholarships. Students can explore scholarships through the WWU’s Scholarship Center.
- Apply as required each year for state, federal, and private financial aid, adding deadlines as well as time to research and prepare to calendars. See the “Managing Time” section to easily locate important quarterly and annual financial deadlines.
- Learn how to make informed financial decisions with the help of Western’s Financial Aid Service Center.