New Student Services / Family Outreach

Transtion Banner


Advising Preparation for Transitions

Preparing for WWU

New students entering Western are REQUIRED to complete specific actions in order to participate in an Advising & Orientation program, as well register for classes. Please refer to our Preparing for WWU information to ensure you have completed your Measles clearance paperwork, activated your WWU Universal account, and more! You can also refer to our checklist of RECOMMENDED actions to learn more about the ALEKS Math Placement Assessment, accessing your Countdown to Western checklist, and learn more about Transfer credit policies.

Back to top

Advising Preparation for Transitions

Prior to making your reservation to attend Transitions, please read the following information to better understand how the academic advising and class registration process will work during the program.

Back to top

Selecting an Advising Group

When making a reservation to attend Transitions, students will be asked to select an Advising Group and you’ll be placed in this group for your academic advising and class registration sessions during the program. In the group advising session, you will work with an advisor who best meets your area of academic interest or intended major. If you are still exploring possible majors, you can also choose a group for undecided students where you will work with advisors familiar with helping students explore various major options.

Selecting a particular Advising Group (for example, “Social Sciences” or “Humanities”) does not lock you into any long-term commitment about a degree area, but rather supports your initial exploration in a general academic area. All academic advisors in all the advising groups present the same preparatory information about advising at Western and can support your creation of a solid class schedule!

During your group advising session, you will be introduced to Graduation Requirements, Academic Resources, your Transfer Equivalency Report, and how to identify classes to prepare for registration. Later in the day, you will select classes and register for your Fall quarter courses.

Back to top

How to Select an Advising Group

Students attending Transitions have an opportunity to select a session date as well as an academic advising group for your session. You are encouraged to make your selections based on what works best for you. Because of the volume of students attending Transitions and limits we have on advising group space, it is possible that your first choice of advising group may be full on a particular day.

If this occurs, you may try another strategy:

  • Try making a reservation for another session date. You may find your first choice of advising group is available on another day.
  • If it is more critical to ensure your attendance on a specific date, select the date you desire and simply select another advising group. Even if you select an advising group that is not in the area of your intended field of study, don’t worry! There is standardized information presented in every advising group. You will also have the opportunity to connect with advisors in academic departments prior to registration.

We encourage you to explore academic departments and programs to learn more about the academic majors available at Western and locate contact information for the department. If you have questions about your intended academic major or believe you are ready to declare your major, you are encouraged to contact the department prior to Transitions.

Additionally, you may consider connecting with faculty/staff who are in your area of interest while you are at Transitions during our Information Fair or departmental advising time.

Back to top

Advising Group Options

The following is a list of the advising groups offered every Transitions session. If you don’t see the group listed in the drop down box when you make your reservation that means the group is full for that date. Please either choose another advising group or check another date.

Please note: The majors shown for each category are examples and do not represent all the possible majors at Western.

Business and Economics

Accounting, Economics, Finance, Management, Management Information Systems, Manufacturing and Supply Chain Management, Operations Management, and Marketing


Elementary Education, Early Childhood Education, Secondary Education, and Special Education


Only for students who have been accepted into Fairhaven College.

Fine and Performing Arts

Art, Dance, Design, Music and Theatre

Health and Human Development

Community Health, Kinesiology (specialization areas in: Exercise Science, Pre-Healthcare Professions, and Sport Psychology), Physical Education and Health P-12, and Recreation Management and Leadership


Art History, English, Communication Studies, Foreign Languages, History, Journalism, Humanities: History of Culture, Philosophy, and Religion and Culture

Huxley College of the Environment

Environmental Science students may choose to do an emphasis in one of these areas: Freshwater Ecology, Marine Ecology, Terrestrial Ecology, and Environmental Toxicology.

Environmental Studies students may choose to do an emphasis in one of the following areas: Environmental Education, Environmental Policy, Geography, Urban Planning and Sustainable Development, or Environmental Studies.

Life Sciences

Biochemistry, Biology, Biology/Anthropology, Behavioral Neuroscience, and Pre-Veterinary

Math, Science, and Engineering

Chemistry, Computer Science, Energy Science and Technology, Engineering, Geology, Math, Physics, and Statistics


This advising group is specifically for Post-baccalaureate students.

Social Sciences

Anthropology, Communication Sciences and Disorders, Human Services, Political Science, Psychology, Pre-Law, and Sociology


Still exploring your interests? That’s okay! If you do not have a strong interest and commitment to an academic discipline, or have not identified your academic major, please select the undecided group.

Back to top

Transfer Credits & Transcripts:
Determining How College/AP Credit Will Apply to Your Western Degree

How does college credit transfer to Western?

Having Running Start or other college credits listed on your high school transcript will not allow Western to grant you college credit. An official transcript and/or score report must be sent from the college/testing agency directly to the Office of Admissions.

Required by July 15: Submit final college transcripts and score reports

Be sure to submit your official college transcripts and/or score report to the Office of Admissions by July 15 if you are entering Western with college credits from Running Start, College in the High School, Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate and/or Cambridge International.

Why submit college transcripts?

Knowing what classes you’ve already received credit for will ensure you avoid registering for and repeating a class, or credits, you don’t need. Registration times for future quarters are based on earned credits, so having those additional transfer credits on record at Western will have a favorable effect on your registration priority for winter quarter and beyond.

If you are awarded transfer credit, instructions for viewing your Transfer Equivalency Report (TER) will be sent to your email account in early August. Your TER will only include coursework on file at Western at the time of enrollment confirmation.

Because we are rarely able to process your spring term grades in time to be included in your initial Transfer Equivalency Report, we recommend you bring the following with you to Transitions and whenever meeting with advisors:

  • Updated unofficial transcripts with any additional completed coursework
  • Proof of registration for any in-progress courses

Having this information will assist you with meeting prerequisites for courses and ensuring that you are not repeating coursework unnecessarily. You are also encouraged to research how any in-progress credits will transfer. Please visit the Admissions website for transfer credit guidelines, a list of course equivalencies for in-state courses, and credits awarded for Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate tests.

Back to top