Fall Advising & Orientation Banner


Advising Preparation for Fall Advising & Orientation

Selecting an Advising Group

When making a reservation to attend Fall Advising & Orientation (Fall A&O), students will be asked to select an Advising Group and you’ll be placed in this group for your academic advising and class registration sessions during the program. In the group advising session, you will work with an advisor who best meets your area of academic interest or intended major. If you are still exploring possible majors, you can also choose a group for undecided students where you will work with advisors familiar with helping students explore various major options.

Selecting a particular Advising Group (for example, “Social Sciences” or “Humanities”) does not lock you into any long-term commitment about a degree area, but rather supports your initial exploration in a general academic area. All academic advisors in all the advising groups present the same preparatory information about advising at Western and can support your creation of a solid class schedule!

During your group advising session, you will be introduced to Graduation Requirements (including General University Requirements), Academic Resources, your Transfer Equivalency Report (if applicable), and how to identify classes to prepare for registration. Later in the day, you will select classes and register for your Fall quarter courses.

Back to top

How to Select an Advising Group

Students attending Fall Advising & Orientation have an opportunity to select an academic advising group for your session. You are encouraged to make your selection based on what works best for you. Because of the volume of students attending Fall A&O and limits we have on advising group space, it is possible that your first choice of advising group may be full.

If this occurs, you may need to select a different advising group. Even if you select an advising group that is not in the area of your intended field of study, don’t worry! There is standardized information presented in every advising group.

We encourage you to explore academic departments and programs to learn more about the academic majors available at Western and locate contact information for the department. If you have questions about your intended academic major or believe you are ready to declare your major, you are encouraged to contact the department prior to arriving for Fall A&O.

Back to top

Advising Group Options

Following is a list of Fall A&O advising groups. When making your reservation, please select only ONE advising group. If you don’t see the group listed in the drop down box when you make your reservation that means the group is full for that date. Please either choose another advising group or check another date.

Please note:

  • Only students who have been admitted into Fairhaven College, the Honors Program, the Music Program, or the Student Outreach Services Program will be placed into those advising groups.

Business and Economics

Accounting, Management Information Systems, Operations Management, Manufacturing and Supply Chain Management, Economics, Finance, Marketing, and Management


This group is for Early Childhood Education and Special Education majors only.

Please note: All other students seeking certification in Elementary Education or Secondary Education must choose an academic major before applying to Woodring College of Education. This will be the majority of students interested in education. The academic major will become your primary endorsement area once you complete your education certification. Therefore, you will need to choose one of the academic areas for your Summerstart advising session. You should plan to attend the Education Interest Session offered on Day 1 of Summerstart for more information. If you have questions prior to making your Summerstart reservation, please contact the Academic Advising Center at 360.650.3850 for clarification.


Only for students who have been accepted into Fairhaven College.

Fine and Performing Arts

Art, Art History, Dance, Design, and Theatre


Only for students who have been accepted into the Honors Program. If you have any questions, please contact the Honors Program at 360.650.3034.


English, Communication Studies, Foreign Languages, History, Journalism, Liberal Studies, and Philosophy

Huxley College of the Environment

Environmental Science students may choose to do an emphasis in one of these areas: Freshwater & Terrestrial Ecology, Marine Ecology, and Toxicology.

Environmental Studies students may choose to do an emphasis in one of the following areas: Environmental Education, Environmental Policy, Geography, Urban Planning and Sustainable Development, or Environmental Studies.

Math, Science, and Engineering

Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Engineering, Geology, Math, and Physics


Only for students who have been accepted into the Music program.


Pre-Medicine, Pre-Dentistry, Pre-Veterinary, Pre-Pharmacy, Pre-Physical Therapy, and all other pre-healthcare areas.

Social Science

Anthropology, Communication Sciences and Disorders, Human Services, Political Science, Psychology, Pre-Law, Recreation, and Sociology

Student Outreach Services

Student Outreach Services provides programs that champion American Indian/Alaska Native students, College Success Foundation Scholars & Foster Youth, Ready to Rise Scholars, Strategies for Success Scholars, and Undocumented Student Scholars. An early move-in orientation program, Jump Start WWU, and an ongoing Peer Mentor Program prepare students for their first year at Western. If you have any questions, please contact Student Outreach Services at 360.650.7443.


Still exploring your interests? That’s okay! If you do not have a strong interest and commitment to an academic discipline, or have not identified your academic major, please select the undecided group.

Back to top

REQUIRED and RECOMMENDED Actions to Prepare for Advising & Orientation

Please refer to our Preparing for Advising & Orientation checklist for REQUIRED and RECOMMENDED actions to complete PRIOR to Fall Advising & Orientation, including how to submit your proof of measles immunization (required for registration!), and connect to information to help determine if you need to complete the ALEKS Math Placement Assessment prior to orientation.

Back to top

Determining How College/AP Credit Will Apply to Your Western Degree

How does college credit transfer to Western?
Having Running Start or other college credits listed on your high school transcript will not allow Western to grant you college credit. An official transcript and/or score report must be sent from the college/testing agency directly to the Office of Admissions.

Required by July 15: Submit final college transcripts and score reports
Be sure to submit your official college transcripts and/or score report to the Office of Admissions by July 15 if you are entering Western with college credits from Running Start, College in the High School, Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate and/or Cambridge International.

Why submit college transcripts?
Knowing what classes you’ve already received credit for will ensure you avoid registering for and repeating a class, or credits, you don’t need. Registration appointments for future quarters are based on earned credits, so having those additional transfer credits on record at Western will have a favorable effect on your registration priority for winter quarter and beyond.

If you are awarded transfer credit, instructions for viewing your Transfer Equivalency Report (TER) will be sent to your email account in early August. Your TER will only include coursework on file at Western at the time of enrollment confirmation.

Because we are rarely able to process your spring term grades in time to be included in your initial Transfer Equivalency Report, we recommend you bring the following with you to Fall Advising & Orientation and whenever meeting with advisors:

  • Updated unofficial transcripts with any additional completed coursework
  • Proof of registration for any in-progress courses

Having this information will assist you with meeting prerequisites for courses and ensuring that you are not repeating coursework unnecessarily. You are also encouraged to research how any in-progress credits will transfer. Please visit the Admissions website for transfer credit guidelines, a list of course equivalencies for in-state courses, and credits awarded for Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate tests.

Students with 60 or more credits are strongly encouraged to attend one of the High Credit Summerstart sessions – August 6-7 or August 8-9 - to receive advanced course advising.

Back to top